Unable to debugger for python , it says "Extension activation failed, run the 'Developer: Toggle Developer Tools' command for more information."

Have tried to dig into there?
For me it says

Activating extension 'ms-python.python' failed: Extension 'ms-python.python' CANNOT use API proposal: terminalShellIntegration.
Its package.json#enabledApiProposals-property declares: contribEditorContentMenu, quickPickSortByLabel, testObserver, quickPickItemTooltip, terminalDataWriteEvent, terminalExecuteCommandEvent, contribIssueReporter but NOT terminalShellIntegration.
 The missing proposal MUST be added and you must start in extension development mode or use the following command line switch: --enable-proposed-api ms-python.python.

python3.12 from 24.05

Is there an update on this? I’m facing the same issue

installing an older version of ms-python extension solves the issue, I installed version v2024.12.3 and it did the trick everything is working well now

I just tried installing the Python extension as well and I am running into this error. This is my first foray into IDX and so far it’s been defined by my dev environment breaking any time I edit the dev.nix environment file and the Python extension shipped with this IDE literally just not working out of the box.

After downgrading to the previous version of Python extension this specific error seems to have gone away but now it is telling me to select an interpreter and when I go to select the interpreter it’s telling me Python is not installed. This is a pretty bad experience so far I have to say.

not yet, i was confused what to do next!

how to downgrade ms-python extension, can help me with that!

yeah, install the latest version, once it’s installed go the the extensions tab and right click on the extension, and you’ll see an option saying “install older version” or something like that

1 Like

Thanks!! @Kais_Radwan it worked!!

1 Like

Downgrading the Python extention worked for me also.

The version of VS Code can be the issue?:
2024-09-11 07:43:17.807 [error] Failed to start language server: [Error: The language client requires VS Code version ^1.91.0 but received version 1.89.1
at P.checkVersion (/home/user/.codeoss-cloudworkstations/extensions/ms-python.python-2024.14.0-universal/out/client/extension.js:2:2307252)
at new P (/home/user/.codeoss-cloudworkstations/extensions/ms-python.python-2024.14.0-universal/out/client/extension.js:2:2306957)
at t.JediLanguageClientFactory.createLanguageClient (/home/user/.codeoss-cloudworkstations/extensions/ms-python.python-2024.14.0-universal/out/client/extension.js:2:20838)
at async l.start (/home/user/.codeoss-cloudworkstations/extensions/ms-python.python-2024.14.0-universal/out/client/extension.js:2:22004)]

1 Like